The four self-catering holiday properties comprising Mel House Cottages are at the heart of our attractive North York Moors National Park village - so not worryingly 'remote' during the Winter Season! - roughly 30 miles north-east of the City of York. Our Holiday Lets in North Yorkshire are 'away from it all' and yet on the doorstep of one of the UK's most attractive Cities. Add to this the fact that we are pretty centrally located within the UK - so many of our Guests choose to come here when 'gathering' friends and family together from various locations in England, Scotland and Wales - we think we offer an ideal holiday venue.
We describe our own location, less than 5 miles due north of the busy market town of Pickering, as like the hub at the centre of a wheel – with so much to see and do, and such ‘diversity’, largely within no more than a 40-minute drive of Mel House Cottages.
Just 3 miles north of our village you can be walking in Cropton Forest. Go a further 2 miles and you’ll have reached the vast heather expanses of the North York Moors National Park. Travel another 14 miles and you’ll reach the fishing town of Whitby being a scenic 30 minute drive further north. This is not a car journey you’d be in a hurry to complete, though!
The two beaches at Scarborough and the 4-mile beach at Filey are all about 40 minutes away by car – as is, in total contrast, the historic City of York just 30 miles away.
Of course, this special part of North Yorkshire is ‘home’ to so many Castles, Abbeys, Historic Houses, Museums, Attractions, etc. that – other than during ‘off-Season’ months – a fortnight here wouldn’t be long enough to enable you to do all you’d like to! The better-known local Attractions nearby include:-
- North York Moors Steam Railway: 5 minutes - but allow additional time for parking or you'll miss the train!
- Flamingo Land Theme Park & Zoo: 20 minures
- Eden Camp Modern History Theme Museum: 25 minutes
- Dalby Forest (venue for the Cross-Country Mountain Bike World Cup a number of times): 25 minutes
- Ryedale Folk Museum: 25 minutes
- Castle Howard Stately Home (the setting for Granada Television's 1981 production of 'Brideshead Revisited') & Arboretum: 35 minutes
- Duncombe Park Stately Home (since 2013 home of The International Centre for Birds of Prey): 35 minutes
- Rievaulx Abbey & Rievaulx Terrace and Temples: 35 minutes
- North Yorkshire & Cleveland Heritage Coast: 40-60 minutes
- Jorvic Viking Centre - York: 55 minutes
- National Railway Museum - York: 55 minutes
- York Racecourse: 55 minutes
- Fountains Abbey: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yorkshire hospitality, fabulous food (well-priced and much of it locally-sourced), road traffic as it was 20 years ago, an extensive network of ‘walks’, less rainfall than much of the UK, clean air, ‘big’ skies, wonderful sunsets, house martins, swallows and swifts filling the skies between April and October….. Why wouldn’t this be an ideal area to take a holiday in the UK?
How to Find Us
It's easy. Typically, from south of here you'd take the A64 off the A1M, bypass the southern outskirts of the City of York, and the take the A169 from Malton to Pickering. If travelling here from the north, you'd probably travel via the A1M and Thirsk - taking the A170 to Pickering via Sutton Bank. You'll see that we've set out specific details below covering your last 5 miles of travel from Pickering, key collection, etc.
Malton Railway Station (with a regular service running between Scarborough and York Stations) is 25 minutes (14 miles) from Mel House Cottages. Leeds-Bradford Airport is 90 minutes (65 miles) away.
By Car from Pickering…
Please note that Sat Nav devices will no doubt handle your journey as far as Pickering perfectly satisfactorily - but see note below. We suggest that you should not necessarily rely upon them from that point onwards! Instead, just follow the following 'directions' which also include key collection details:-
- From the A170 heading towards Scarborough and the coast take the first exit at the main Pickering roundabout onto the A169
- In 0.3 miles take a slight left onto Hatcase Lane
- In 0.2 miles turn right onto Castlegate
- In 0.3 miles Castlegate turns slightly right and becomes Undercliffe.
- Undercliffe soon becomes Yatts Road, continue along here for 4.1 miles to where the road changes again, this time to Rawcliff Road.
- In just 194 yards of being on Rawcliffe Road turn right. To help, if you see Keld Lane on the left of the road the the turning you require is the second on the right after this point.
[Note: With regard to Sat Nav 'directions', if travelling on the A170 from Helmsley to Pickering do not follow an instruction to turn left at Wrelton and then take a right up Cawthorne Lane unless you like living dangerously! Instead, just remain on the A170 heading for Pickering - at that point, switching to our 'directions' above - and then everything will turn out just fine!]
By Train from Malton…
Malton Railway Station is 14 miles away from Mel House Cottages.
Taxi: To get to us from Malton Station by taxi you might use any of the following, obviously pre-booking to be on the 'safe side':-
- Pickering Taxis - Tel: 01751 617181
- Ring a Taxi - Tel: 07711 756512
- Appleby's - Tel: 01751 474430
- Harpers Taxis - Tel: 01751 476060
- Vale Taxis - Tel: 01653 698877
Leeds-Bradford Airport is 90 minutes (65 miles) away.
To get to us from Leeds-Bradford Airport you would best make your way to Leeds Railway Station and get a train to Malton or else pick up a Hire car at the Airport.
Most Guests arrive by car and use that for getting around once here. Those arriving by other means will, frankly, need to use a hire car or taxis once at Mel House Cottages as there is no public transport between our village and Pickering - where there are bus links to Malton, Scarborough, Whitby and the City of York.
North Yorkshire YO18 8QA
Tel: 01751 475396